Thursday, March 02, 2006

Forgetful is Just Fine

Sometimes I think I don’t have children because I wouldn’t be able to handle it if they were dumb. Slow would be OK, forgetful would be just fine, and deliberately contrary would be expected. But dumb is different.

The RRR instructor, SW1, is dumb. At first it was hard to tell. But each day it has been more obvious than the last. There was an episode today, that I can’t think how to fully explain in this paragraph, (which I know says nothing for my intelligence), where he insisted on solving a problem in several steps that required numerous calculations. It was immediately obvious that the task could be accomplished with a few grease pencil marks on a Plexiglas template. SW1 noticed what our group was doing and couldn’t wrap his brain around it. He listened to the explanation from one group member, then another, and another. It still didn’t sink in. I know this probably doesn’t sound like much but it was the most completely frustrating experience: like needing desperately to accomplish the impossible. He was the instructor. I’m still frustrated sitting here thinking about it. The resolution came when he looked up at me in defeat to say, “Well, you taught me something today.” To make matters worse he spent the first two days of class staring me down and trying to impress me but now he feels only emasculated and avoids all eye contact. That always makes me feel like hell.

The truth is that I’ve never known someone well that I didn’t like. Understanding background and motivation makes almost any behavior rational. It's that whole to understand is to forgive thing. But seriously, I don’t think I’ve ever taken the time to know the truly dumb. It might be the exception to the rule.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home