Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Macaroni and Cheese

This afternoon in Rapid Runway Repair class we were taught that patching a spall (a crater less than five feet in diameter that doesn’t break the subsurface) with concrete was only reliable for 100 sorties and also taught that a sortie is one landing and take-off of an aircraft. An inquisitive steelworker asked why it was called a sortie. In two days of class it’s the only question she’s asked but you would have thought she raised her hand for the umteenth time to insult the dead. Everyone, including the instructor, turned on her. Comments like:

“Does it fucking matter?”
“Why do you care?”
“They just fucking do, OK?”

And my favorite:

“I don’t know. Why do you think they call it macaroni and cheese?” **

I approached her after class and told her that sortir is the French for “to leave” and that it probably came from the French or some other romance language. She looked at me, sighed quietly, and said, “I just wanted to know.”

I’m anxious for the day when I have a peer group that encourages inquisitiveness.


**I think it’s probably because the dish is made primarily of macaroni and cheese.

2 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

i love the macaroni and cheese clarification.

love it.

in other news, i am all alone this weekend so we should have coffee or lunch.

in other, other news inquiring minds want to know if game night will still be on or if your husband is being benched due to an injury. to which i would reply, "fight through the pain! walk it off!"

23:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just linked to your blog for the 1st time thru Knit & Tonic. Wow. Amazing how something can be funny and terrifying at the same time. The macaroni & cheese comment--priceless.

04:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home