Thursday, February 23, 2006

Yes Dear

There's this guy at work who's totally snarky behind my back. I know because the other EAs in the shop dish about what he says when he comes looking for me. I guess he doesn't understand that the people in my shop are more loyal to me than to him. Go Figure.

Yesterday he came into engineering asking for me and a friend told him I was out for the day (my husband was walking home from Starbucks last week and he was run over by a truck - he's fine and healing quickly, but I've spent most of the last few days at the emergency room/hospital/doctor/orthopedist/pharmacy and haven't been around work). As told to me the conversation went something like this:

BU1: Is EA2 around?
EA3: No, she's not here today.
BU1: That does me a lot of good.
EA3: Well, she's taking care of her husband. He was run over by a truck. Her home and cell numbers are on the bulletin board over there.
BU1: I can't even read this. It's in pencil.

That's when EA3 decided to ignore him.

He called and when I picked up he started in by calling me "Dear" and speaking in a soft, lilting, almost sing-song voice. I got two more "Dear"s and one "Honey" before we hung up. It was bizarro.

He's a tall lumbering man who works as the command Drug and Alcohol Prevention Administrator (DAPA). He's the guy who fills out the paper work after someone pops on a drug test or gets a DUI. He's also supposed to act as a counselor if you feel you or someone you know needs help with a drinking or drug problem.

This morning I went down to his office, passing posters warning against the dangers of drinking, to talk about our duty section (he's the leader, I'm the assistant) and he was on the phone. He motioned for me to come in and sit and he handed me a book for entertainment. It was a book of cocktail recipes.

He's an odd guy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home