Monday, February 13, 2006

Field EXercise

Reality hit this morning: I leave for squad leaders' FEX a week from Friday, and then I leave for regular FEX a few weeks after that.

I had a lot of shopping to do.

Last FEX was a little bit miserable because I made the mistake of packing only the gear I was issued (I was new to the battalion and didn't know any better). To avoid a repeat experience I just spent most of my lunch break at the Ranger Joe's website shopping. I picked out a new comfy suspension system for my Kevlar helmet and a kick-ass flashlight that's just the right size and has all the color films I need. I also bought a bunch of consumables: weatherproof notebooks, waterproof seal for my tent, green duct tape, 550 cord, and camo paints in a tube that a corpsman friend of mine swears wash off better than anything else. The best news is that I did my shopping in time so that regular ground shipping will get my stuff here before I leave.

It should have made me happy but instead I was a little bummed. I want to spend my money on yarn and guitar lessons and sushi, not on this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home