Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Red River

I’m sitting down to a little Aimee Mann and a gin and tonic, or maybe gins and tonic (it’s entirely too early to tell), and one song and three sips in I already feel the tension draining from my neck and shoulders.

I started the day at 0600 at the armory to check out an M16 that I knew I was not going to use. It was issued with a BFA and white safety flag and I toted it around all day during Basic Combat Skills II (BCSII), along with the required accessories: web gear and Kevlar helmet. I know we train like we fight, and I understand why we do it, but in the moment is seems like nothing but absurdity. Today’s practical application labs included vehicle search, personnel search, and concertina set-up. No actual weapon (or web gear) necessary.

During the personnel search drill I instinctively found a woman to pair up with. At 5’10” she’s about an inch shorter than me but I’d guess a full 30 lbs heavier, which more than compensate for the height advantage. Each of her parents was a Marine who came in through Paris Island. She chews. And by that I mean she chews. I almost never see her without an obviously visible amount of tobacco tucked into her lower lip. Her hair is dark and thick, her bun always unkempt, and she has a bit of a swagger since she started dating the biggest redneck in the battalion. I’m a little afraid of her and that’s a big deal because I’m not afraid of many people. Not even a handful. But she’s one of them. So, back to my privilege of searching her: several people were intently watching us (I think almost all men have a girl-fight fantasy) and after I spread her legs, grabbed her collar and thrust my right knee firmly against her ass cheeks to put her in the proper position for a through pat-down, she turned her head towards me and pleaded in a whisper, “Don’t take the tampon out of my pocket.”

This is an example of one of the reasons I identify myself much more strongly with being a woman than being a Seabee.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got reading Red River very well writtien but you for got to finish the rest of the story i want to know what you did and the out come

15:26  
Blogger Jessica said...

You're such a friend. I really miss having you around. Every time I drive somewhere I want you to be in the seat next to me.

There's not much more to the story. I searched her, found her leatherman in a cargo pocket and left the tampon in her blouse pocket. After that we made up our own mission of mixing ourselves in with the concertina set-up group so it would look like we participated. Our mission was a success: we avoided having to uncoil concertina and pound in those huge metal stakes.

Congrats one more time on making corporal.

12:19  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gone are the days of cheap[url=http://www.andrejohnsonjersey.net]Andre Johnson Women's Jersey[/url]
flimsy poor quality products As far as being present at the games are concerned nothing can keep the football fanatics away from being present at the stadium when their favorite team is playing Trust me when I say that the struggle for content is ongoing
One has to be in US to believe the craze for NFL matches among the population as loyal fans wear team jerseys to get the feel of the matchesWhatever form of exercise you choose[url=http://www.officialnikeravensjerseys.com]Haloti Ngata Jersey[/url]
make sure that you monitor your kid's progress periodicallym

18:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can suggest to come on a site where there is a lot of information on a theme interesting you.
Now all became clear, many thanks for the help in this question.
Many thanks for the help in this question, now I will not commit such error.
I apologise, but it not absolutely approaches me.
Your answer is matchless... :)

[url=http://spaces.covers.com/blog/mvpmichaelkors8][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://cheapbags8.soup.io/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyitt.sport.fr/2013/01/18/vacuum-bags-where-does-everything-grime-go/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://cheapbags8.smartlog.dk/cute-messenger-bags-post1266169][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://michaelkorscheap2.eklablog.com/how-are-leather-bags-special-a65292303][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]

14:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home