Tuesday, September 19, 2006

I'm Falling in Love

I am singing the praises of triangles. I love them. They do everything they're supposed to and, to date, have never let me down.

The piles, while difficult to place (the welding geek admited defeat) because they are in the middle of a flowing river and need to be hammered by a crane on a floating bardge, are ending up right where they're supposed to. It's a great feeling.

In high school I never believed my math teacher when she told me I was going to need SOH CAH TOA later in life. I was wrong. Maybe I should call her.

5 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

oh god, i HATED SOH CAH TOA. but then again, I hated math.

I am so proud of you and your wonderful accomplishment! It sounds like it would be pretty cool to watch a bridge go up in the middle of a river.

you should come home so that we can sit around and talk about life and drink gin and tonics. I miss that. but then again, i miss you!

07:57  
Blogger Becky said...

What the hell is a SOA CAH TOA???????

14:59  
Blogger Beatriz said...

Kurt uses SOA CAH TOA all the time with sound wave graphs, frequencies, and uses them to calculate dimensions for making speakers. I just learned it and never applied it. I'd love to use them...maybe I'll try modular knitting to see if there are knitting applications.

15:54  
Blogger Beatriz said...

Becky,

Sine = Opposite over Hypotenuse
Cosine = Adjacent over Hypotenuse
Tangent = Opposite over Adjacent

It's been about 20 years since I took geometry, trig, or calculus...but I think that's it.

16:02  
Blogger Jessica said...

Today the last of four went in and I was WELL within my allowable error. The provervial weight is lifted.

Becky, you're really not missing out on much.

Beatriz: I think a little high-tech modular knitting is a must.

17:47  

Post a Comment

<< Home