Friday, June 02, 2006

I'm Flattered

Promotion is a mathematical equation that sometimes works for you, but usually fights you every step of the way, if you’re an Engineering Aid in the Navy. The magic equation is a combination of three personal evaluations, a test score, awards, time at your current pay grade, and any bonus points you might have from previous high test scores in your current pay grade. The Navy decides how many personnel they want to promote at each level of pay in each job and looking at the information they decide on a number. If your final multiple is above that number, you are a winner and go on to the next round. If not, you try again in another six months. For some jobs the competition isn’t so tight: after September 11th the Navy decided to add hundreds of MAs (we call our military police Master at Arms) and since that time advancement has been at or close to 100%. Nearly everyone who is eligible for advancement is ordained. Many other jobs also enjoy quick advancement, but the EAs are never that lucky. This cycle, throughout the entire Navy, one EA was advanced to E-6, three to E-5, and five to E-4. So the numbers aren’t so good. They’re actually miserable. But the EA who went with me to Alaska was one of the three promoted to E-5 and I’m so proud of him that every time I see him I can’t help but smile. On Thursday there will be a big ceremony and he will have the new rank pinned on him in front of the battalion. He asked me to do the pinning. I’m completely flattered because I’m not the default choice; that’s EA1 or even chief. And after that is the big default: if you don't choose anyone the CO and Master Chief pin it on you when they present you with your letter of advancement. It never occured to me that he might ask me. But he did. And while I always had a hunch that he looked up to me, it’s nice to know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home