Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Bread in the Oven

When my husband left for Lake Clark National Park a week or so ago I received custody of three ripe bananas that have, as bananas are wont to do, continued to ripen. Yesterday I realized that I had ignored the fruits longer than contemporary standards of freshness would dictate and that something had to be done so I took a stick of butter out of the freezer to soften. Today when I came home for lunch I preheated the oven, mixed up a recipe of banana bread, and now I'm waiting for the timer to sound. The bread will still be warm when I bring it to my AutoCAD class this afternoon.

The schoolhouse secured funding to spend tens of thousands of dollars on 13 licenses of the new AutoCAD 2006. But because the registration needs to be done online, and because the schoolhouse doesn’t have a network connection, all we can do is give a quick glance to the 2006 icon mocking us from the desktop and then do our work with the old version.

Most of the twelve surveyors in the class are already pretty comfortable with AutoCAD 2004 and so we spend class talking trash and spreading gossip. It’s a round table format with the instructor taking his place as our King Arthur on a tall swivel chair in the back of the class with students fanned around him. The EA3 who sits next to me is the sort who, as he tells it, always works for incompetent superiors and is forced to assert his surveying prowess in order to save the project: a project always balanced precariously on the brink of ruin. In the event of catastrophe the problem is simple; the incompetent superior refused to listen to his sage counsel. It gets old fast.

Two days after coming home from FEX EA3 was dumped unexpectedly by his fiancé. The next night he went to a party, met a girl, and now claims her as his own. She’s deaf. She’s been deaf since birth. And while I hope very much that being deaf is akin to having red hair – slightly unusual but really no different in the long run – I have this feeling that in this case, that’s not the case. As EA3 told his story our King Arthur, a man who values women as accessories not partners, deemed EA3 accepting and almost virtuous for his new choice and EA3 has taken to the label. Now we get lectures on the deaf community and are pounded with facts like the preferred phone for text messaging among the deaf, and the importance of non-verbal communication with the deaf. They’ve been dating two weeks. It’s a bit much. This isn’t a girl that he’s been friends with since childhood or someone on his community soccer team. This is the dependent of a Chief on a nearby base that he met at a party the night after having a ring thrust back in his face.

I don't think it's love.

The banana bread has ten minutes left in the oven. I can’t wait to hear about the role of baked goods in the deaf community.

6 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

this is going to be completely inappropriate when taken out of context, but I have to say it:

Is deaf banana bread like real banana bread?

do find out for me.

16:08  
Blogger Jessica said...

How does your henna look?

16:51  
Blogger Christina said...

I really like my henna. It's starting fade i think, but oh well. It's been fun humoring the idea of a tatto on my wrist ;-) how do you like yours?

16:49  
Blogger Jessica said...

I dig it a little too much. I'm also starting to humor the idea of a wrist tattoo and I'm not a tattoo girl. But I'll get over it.

22:18  
Blogger Christina said...

not if I make you get a tatto with me first.

maybe we can get foot tattos as a comprimise.

14:20  
Blogger Jessica said...

Here's a link to a tattoo outlined in green:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosmom/130601963/

It can be yours.

23:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home