Friday, April 14, 2006

582 Days and a Wake-Up

Senior R. approached me yesterday afternoon.

EA2, I hear you’re getting out.

Yes Senior.

Why is that?

It’s the right decision for me.

But why, really?

I’m pretty bored.

That’s true. There’s no challenge here.

I’m making the deployment, so if you need anything in the next year and a half you can still ask me.

I know what it is; you’re getting out to model.

That’s exactly it Senior. The Navy is getting in the way of my Super Model career.

Almost all remarks about my appearance are unwelcome (unless they come from a good friend and involve the word skinny, which has only happened once) and put me in a bit of a foul mood. I’m never sure how to respond because attractive isn’t an accomplishment or something I want to be recognized for at work. Finishing a project ahead of schedule is an accomplishment, earning the support of your junior troops is an accomplishment, and throwing on some lip balm and using lotion isn’t. But this particular comment had the unusual effect of making me smile. It was so benign and well meaning. It wasn’t to make inroads towards a relationship where inappropriate banter would be acceptable. I’m happy to be working for him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home