Sunday, April 09, 2006

Someone Is Looking for Me and I Don't Think It's Good

This morning, while I was sitting across from my husband in a big comfy chair at Starbucks, I was drinking hot coffee, flipping through the travel section, and reading about Sedona. Apparently it’s the place to go if I want to have my aura photographed after a hearty lunch of a fried rattlesnake appetizer and a buffalo burger chaser. It sounds great. And as I was in the middle of a paragraph describing red rock impregnated with strip malls my husband’s phone rang. He didn’t answer or even bother to see who was calling. He just wasn’t interested. It was several hours later when he looked at the number and then politely interrupted my knitting to let me know that someone from Ketchikan called, didn’t leave a message, and that he thought it was probably for me. I called the number back and reached the Joint Task Force and because I didn’t recognize the voice on the other end I told her that I had a wrong number. After I hung up the phone I thought about who could be calling and the first thing I came up with was that one of my roommates from last year was feeling chatty. We bonded a bit and I was really quite fond of her despite the fact that she frequently took “a bath” in a big trash bag filled with water and every day added more leftover food to the store under her bed as if it was a refrigerator, which it wasn’t. But when I thought about it a little more I decided it probably wasn’t her. To call me from an official phone would requite a long distance code, which I’m pretty sure she wouldn’t have, although she is super crafty so it’s a feasible possibility. But what seems more likely is that there’s confusion about the surveying and some desperate soul was trying to call me in an official capacity to get an answer to a problem. So now I’m going over the picky details of the deployment in my head: the cut from 14+200 through 14+800 is 1:1 not 1/4:1 like the rest of the project and it’s clearly labeled, the road at 1+800 was moved into the hill and we did flag the correct clearing limits, I did download the new control points into the GPS system, there are plenty of red stakes, yellow stakes, and flagging, and the connex was accurately inventoried. I can’t think of anything I missed and I know that we surveyed ahead far enough that the project shouldn’t need a surveyor for the first two to four weeks that they’re up and running. But the phone call still has me on edge. It doesn’t matter that I came away with a glowing evaluation and a medal; I’m nervous that I failed. I’ll call tomorrow and clear it up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home