Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Wanting

I was so startled when my alarm went off at 0430 this morning that it took me about 10 very loud seconds before I remembered to hit the snooze button. Ten seconds is a lot. And now I’m up, waiting for my breakfast to pop out of the toaster, skipping the coffee ritual because I’m not in the mood to deal with the French press, and downing about one and a half liters of flat, room temperature Diet Mountain Dew to compensate for the absent caffeine.

I’m up early because I have a training attainment report that needs to get done today and that I won’t be able to tackle during business hours because of an exercise. I’m involved in a convoy, but it’s not really a convoy. It’s a bunch of troops who, in full gear, are going to pile into a white ten-passenger van with some status boards and drive two blocks through traffic before unloading the boards and setting them up in a classroom. This evolution will take most of the day and be overwhelming for many people.

It doesn’t matter how much there is to do: how many reports I turn in, meetings I attend, exercises I play along with, or Engineering Service Requests I help finish. If I have so much work that I wake up at 0430 and work through dinner it’s still the same: I’m bored. I have never been so bored at a job in my life.

The biggest challenge I will tackle this week is getting work done in an office that’s populated with many other very bored, very social, very distracting people. I want a puzzle to solve or an interesting thought proposed. I want to be required to think.

Yesterday I turned in a leave chit for the month of July and it looks like I’m about a day away from having it approved. I need something to work toward and deployment isn’t it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home