Thursday, June 01, 2006

Bones

We re-orged and now I muster in the mornings with Det Cuba instead of Headquarters Company which would normally be a pretty good deal except that Headquarters still wants me to organize all of their training. And that, of course, doesn’t stop Det Cuba from wanting me to run off prints, take care of their training, and serve as the fitness leader. And that, of course, means I have to set an example and go to extra PT in the afternoons with the overweight kids. It’s a shame they have to be singled out… they’re just big boned.

This morning I drove to medical for a blood draw: HIV and lipids. My veins are hard to find so I drank three and a half pints of water to plump them up before I went over there. Still, the techs had bad luck. The first one gave up after two tries in the right arm: one with a regular needle and one with a baby needle. The second tech, who was the only other tech so he knew he had to get it done, tried the left arm once and then went for the right hand where he finally hit a vein after slapping me a few times to make the vein pop. I'd make a miserable junkie. It took minutes to fill two small vials. He told me the problem was a result of my extremely fine bone structure.

I’m just shy of six feet tall with broad shoulders and an impressively large rib cage. Amazon is something I get. Fine boned is not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home