Monday, October 16, 2006

Who Knew Steel Was Flexible?

I had this idea for sinking the sheet piles to specifications; I would solve little triangles for each pile and as we placed them one by one I would meticulously measure the hypotenuse from my strong and faithful center line stake. My thinking was that if the hypotenuse was right, it must be in the right place. But I tried it today and there was a huge problem: My method requires a rigid structure (I thought steel was pretty strong), but under the stress of a misplaced several-ton pile driver (so not my fault) the piles warped like cheap Tupperware in the microwave, and suddenly the set of measurements my triangles were birthed from were no longer accurate. It was a disaster. So we sent the crane crew home, I regrouped and set some stakes, and hopefully tomorrow my efforts will bear less strange fruit.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tyson said...

Here are my words of wisdom that I try to live by:
"If it comes out right the first time....
you probably fucked something up."

Write that down.

10:49  
Blogger Jessica said...

Consider it written.

The sheet piles are still a mess and get messier every day. I've decided that they are imperfect things and I'm trying to wash my hands of it.

16:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home