Monday, September 11, 2006

The Training Death Trap

I opened my e-mail to a chatty letter from the new S7/S2 (training and intelligence officer). I've only met him once. He's a little cookey and he seems to think he can butter me up to work in the training office during next homeport. I know it sounds benign, but the training office is the most spit-on and trampled-over office in battalion. I would sooner work in the tool room. This is what he sent (parenthetical comments are mine):


How is everything in GTMO?  I hope you and the troops are taking advantage of your liberty to enjoy the diving and fishing. (We work six days a week, 12 hours a day, in the sun and diving classes are during the week. No, we don't get out much.)  Without a doubt my best 3 years in the Navy were there.  1995-1998, I was an EA2 in the Engineering shop for FMED.  A lot of changes to the base have occurred since then. (They built a $15 million prison.)

Thank you for your timely input.  You must have some hard charging individuals, all six have taken the Officer/OIC/AOIC portion of the ORM.  Was this personal initiative, or leadership driven? (Does it even seem possible that troops would take online classes on risk-assessment if someone didn't force them?)

Was Mary able to help with your PISTOL issues?  Let me know if I need to do anything. (Most officers, without unseemly motives, are not in the habit of running e-mail errands for troops. There isn't enough time in the day.)

Noticed on your PRD that you are rotating early in 08?  Are you planning to extend or rotate as scheduled.  The reason I ask, we are looking to staff the next Homeport Training Department.  Would you be interested? (I e-mailed him a polite "No".)

Have a great CB Day,
V/R, Warrant

(As a general rule, I'm annoyed with individuals who wish me a "great Seabee day".)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for some great writing and for the insight to what is really going on.
For those of us who experienced simular situations, it brings back old memories.
Doug, USN (Ret) San Diego

20:17  
Blogger Jessica said...

Thanks for the favorable comment. I'm always a sucker for a compliment.

17:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home