Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Placing Blame

Because there was some confusion about the first reasonable day for the crane operator to show up for work, and because Mad Dog is all about scolding and never about mentoring, several of us were treated to a closed door Importance of Communication lecture.

I'm a big fan of communication and gorge on it daily. But even as a confessed addict I can admit that there are times, now and then, when the last thing I care to think about is the list of people (some of whom are smelly and slow on the draw and not that much fun) who would benefit if I walked across the compound and clued them in. I know I could be more proficient and so I think the Importance of Communication lecture is always worthwhile. It’s a good reminder even if it’s annoying.

However…

It’s odd when the advice your chief, the man who is directing your job and scheduling your life, tells you in the midst of a Communication lecture that a big problem we’re facing is that no one wants to place blame or point fingers:

You peoples problem is that you don’t blame nobody. Stop taking the blame on yourself and start pointing fingers or nothin’s going to improve around here. You understand me?

I’m going to have an obnoxious amount of fun writing about this deployment and I blame Mad Dog.

2 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

Is english Mad Dog's second language?

22:35  
Blogger Jessica said...

I love Full Metal Jacket. It's two movies in one: you get the boot camp movie and you get the Vietnam movie. Gotta love that Stanley Kubrick (sp?).

Speaking of Full Metal Jacket, I live in a baraks aptly named Marine Hill. They're everywhere. I didn't have the best luck with them on my last deployment, but here it's different. They're so polite. I mean crazy polite. If I'm walking through the courtyard and one of them is swearing someone else will shut him up because I'm passing through. And lines? They always wave me ahead, and never with a leer, always with a polite and respectful expression. They're seriously awesome.

17:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home