Sunday, August 06, 2006

A Day Off

I’m here and it’s very, very hot. It’s so hot that I don’t have much of an appetite, almost no thirst for beer, and I certainly don’t want to go to the gym. What does sound appealing during my off time is to sit in air conditioning and listen to music, read a book, or knit. And that was the original plan for my first two weeks. But at the last minute it was decided that we wouldn’t have to work today, and announced that it’s the weekend of Jamaican independence, which is a big deal on this side of the island that is home to 1,500 Jamaicans. So after a little arm-twisting I went out last night with a bunch of guys from work. It was way too hot and humid to have a good time but I wanted to do my part to contribute to the celebration so I drank a few Red Stripes and talked a little trash before I went to my air-conditioned room. I was asleep before 2 am.

4 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

Too hot for beer?

Hey, maybe something historical will happen while you're over there and you'll get inspired and right an amazing novel. Like Papa only the female version, without the 6 toed cats and suicide.

17:03  
Blogger Tyson said...

There should be a Red Stripe commercial that goes:

"BOO drunk asshole chief!"

"HOORAY BEER!"

15:16  
Blogger Christina said...

*sigh* I miss you already.

p.s. I think spiral pencil grass is slowly commiting suicide. It misses you and mark. I don't know if there is anything I can do to bring it out of such a deep depression. so you can't blame me if it dies...

21:16  
Blogger Jessica said...

I'll make it if Sprial Pencil Grass (SPG) doesn't. Mark on the other hand might have a bone to pick with you. Or, maybe more likely, a carrot top or apple core or something like that.

19:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home