Thursday, June 22, 2006

If It Feels Good...

Some things feel really wrong. Like when an Army Captain kissed me. Or when my boss, the operations officer, wanted me to go on a quiet camping trip for four. I put the Captain in his place and didn’t go on the trip, but I still felt dirty and like I’d done something wrong. Those sorts of things make me miserable.

Tomorrow morning I’m gifting a scarf I knit to the Operations Chief and it feels great. His questions, thoughts, and goofy smile have always made me feel at home, which is something that I almost never feel with my hair pulled back tightly and my steel-toed boots weighing me down. I made a side comment on the FEX that I could knit him a hat out of the yarn from the terrain model kit and, to my genuine surprise, he told me several times that he would really like it. That was months ago. In the time that has passed I've tried to go the hat route: I knit the beginnings of a hat and ripped it out several times but was never satisfied. So I decided to gift him a scarf that I adore. It was meant for another, but neither one of them will ever know the difference.

I’ve wrapped it in tissue, made a bow of yarn, and tucked care instructions in a small flowered envelope that I made out of richly textured paper from my stash. I’m proud of it, I hope he loves it, and the idea of the whole thing makes me feel great.

2 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

Ah feeling good, that wonderful distraction that pulls us away ever so briefly from bullshit that makes up our lives.

I remember it well.

08:41  
Blogger Christina said...

you are a truly genuine person. you should feel great and I am glad you do!

19:02  

Post a Comment

<< Home